Wake up to a healthy breakfast that combines plenty of protein with a zesty kick inspired by Mexican cooking. This tasty breakfast sandwich made with egg substitute, turkey bacon, and cheese is easy to prepare at home in your own “cocina.” Just for fun, experiment with different varieties of salsa to spice things up a little.
Makes 1 sandwich
1 Tbsp. canned chopped green chilies
¼ cup fat-free egg substitute
1 slice turkey bacon, cooked
1 slice reduced-fat Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
1 whole-wheat or oat-bran English muffin, toasted
1 Tbsp. salsa (optional)
1. Prepare a medium-sized skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat.
2. Using a small bowl, combine egg substitute and chilies; transfer to skillet. Let mixture sit for a minute or two, making sure eggs set around the edge.
3. Using a spatula, lift edges, allowing remainder of raw egg to cook. Allow another minute or so, until are eggs set. Once set, fold the eggs in half and repeat one more time.
4. Break up bacon into two pieces and place on top of eggs in the skillet. Add the cheese slice. Reduce heat and cover pan. Cook for 30 seconds or until cheese melts.
5. Remove egg, bacon, and cheese from skillet; place on bottom half of English muffin. Add salsa (if desired), and then add the top half of the muffin.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Calories – 249
Fat – 5.2 g
Cholesterol – 21 mg
Sodium – 842 mg
Carbohydrates – 28 g
Fiber – 4.6 g
Protein – 22 g
Starches = 2
Lean Meat = 2-1/2
Photo: Cassie Craves